Home Instead Senior Care Perspectives

Time with Gram: Anne's perspective

Friday, August 20, 2010

Maybe it is because I am creeping up on the big 4-0, but I have been thinking a lot about my Gram lately and how incredible her life has been.  At 95 she has seen so much change in the world.  If you ask her, she will say her life has been wonderful but not remarkable.  I disagree.  Born in 1915, she has seen both world wars, a depression (and numerous recessions), she lived a good part of her life without television, or telephones, and sometimes running water.  She has never touched a computer or a cell phone.  Dating consisted of chaperoned walks or church picnics.
Gram is a prankster and always likes a good laugh.   A couple of months ago I took my flip video camera and did some little interviews with her.  To my delight she burst into a little skit that she used to do when at social events they had to tell a joke or riddle.  It was such a wonderful gift to get that on video.
SO- this next week I am going to be "home" for a couple of days and I am going to pull some photos with my mom and my gram.  I am going to have her tell me some tidbits about those photos and we are going to put together a book of her life.   I don't want to miss any opportunity to capture the stories of her life in her own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment