Home Instead Senior Care Perspectives

So What Does a CAREGiver Really Do??? by Janell, guest blogger

Monday, September 13, 2010

When I tell people I am a Caregiver for Home Instead Senior Care, they sometimes say things like “So you clean and drive people to appointments?” Well, yes I do those things but not as much as you might think.


I do what is needed;

I have organized bills to be paid. I have helped file away important papers. I have helped get greeting cards ready to be mailed to grandchildren, nieces and nephews. I have packaged items for return from the Home Shopping Network.

I have watered plants, filled bird feeders and baked cookies. I have read Tom Sawyer aloud to a 98-year old client who couldn’t see but listened to the story intently and chuckled at Tom’s shenanigans. I have set on the front porch with a glass of iced tea and chatted. I have listened to tales of work on the rail road, of life growing up in a children’s home. I have met a woman who knew the Sullivan Brothers family ~ the 5 brothers who were killed in World War II. I have heard stories about Victory trains and V-mail ~ things I had to Google so I could find out more.

I have played Uno, Rummy and lost miserably to a 90 year old playing trivia. I have fed the cat, played with the dog and read aloud from the Reader’s Digest. I have reminisced looking at old photo albums and been in awe of the young images of the older person sitting next to me ~ an older and slower version with the same twinkle in their eyes.

I have made egg salad, fresh fruit salad and taken a leisurely walk on a beautiful fall day. I have looked at knickknacks and heard stories of times gone by. I have made beds and marveled over hand stitched quilts made long ago.

I have given hugs, been given hugs and caressed a dying woman’s hand in the darkest hour of the night. I have laughed and teased and been teased. I have steadied a man who normally uses a walker but refuses to when we walk in to his favorite place for lunch ~ McDonald’s. I have been charmed by a man with dementia who struggles with inner demons but tries to make a connection in the real world. I have dozed in a recliner by the bed of an Alzheimer’s patient so that his family could get some much needed rest.

I have walked Grey’s Lake and driven through Water Works Park when the trees are in bloom. I have consoled a 83 year old woman when her son didn’t come to visit. I have listened to 40s music and strolled through the Dollar Store. I have searched under the deck for a lost kitten.

I have parked near a playground with the windows down so that a 95 year old woman can listen to the sounds of the children squealing and playing ~ and I watched her tilt her head back with eyes closed and a smile on her face...

And yes, I have cleaned. I have wiped countertops, vacuumed carpet and dusted knickknacks and beloved framed photos. I have driven to doctor’s appointments, hair appointments, the grocery store, cleaners and the dentist.

And yes, I have been blessed in all of these things I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment